I am not even going to pretend.
The chances of me being slightly buzzed, maybe even a bit drunk on St. Patrick’s Day are fairly likely.
St. Patty’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. I love the fun banter and rowdiness of it all. I love that everyone is out to be a little bit Irish and have a good time. I love singing “Sweet Caroline” with a bar full of perfect strangers.
I recognize that I painted a pretty innocuous spritely fantasy of what can quickly become a hot mess of disgusting green beer, sloppy drunks, crowded bars and ugly behavior. But hey, it’s my post and thus far I’ve yet to have a St. Patty’s Day like that.
Call it the “Luck O’ the Irish”.
I always have a fantastic time.
All that fun comes with a price of course. And it would seem that the older I get the steeper the price of a night out.
So rather than do what most mature adults would do- cut back. I have incorporated some of those new-fangled anti-hangover supplements into my drinking routine.
Here’s a little guide to partying like a Leprechaun without feeling like a troll the next day:
- Drink lots and lots of water leading up to and during your night out. I try to do a glass of whatever alcoholic beverage I am imbibing followed by a drink of water. Yes, you will be peeing a lot. But would you rather pee every hour or feel gross the next day?
- I prep for a big drinking day with Flyby Hangover Cure and Prevention. I have used this for many major drinking events like weddings, Fantasy Fest in Key West, concerts and bachelorette parties. This supplement works well for me. No, I promise I am not a lush. I also throw back Ibuprofen before and after drinking. I stock up on Coconut Water to drink for dehydration because I am not a fan of Gatorade or Pedialyte.
- Eat a hearty meal before you head out.
- Pace yourself. A night of drinking and having a good time is all about pacing. You don’t want to get so wasted that you become a sloppy mess or need to be babysat. Nor do you want to be so stiff and sober that you become the den mother. You want to maintain that happy vibe for the majority of the night and that means slow and steady with the alcohol.
- Avoid shots. I know, I know. I’ve been sucked into the camaraderie of taking shots together many a time. In all reality shots are a sure fire way for a night to head south fast.
- For fuck sakes whatever you do- Don’t drink and drive! There is absolutely zero excuse for anyone to drink and drive with all available transportation resources. Don’t do it. Impaired driving is the reason my brother died and I feel really passionate about it. Don’t be the asshole that not only ruins the night but someone’s life.
- Carry a little kit of handy items like: wipes, gum, hand sanitizer, tissues, Ibuprofen, Pepto Bismol tablets, tampons, condoms. I call it my “Mommy Kit” and it has served me well many a day and night.
- Before going to bed guzzle a bunch of water.
Alright my lasses and lads! Take my Irish blessing and enjoy!
Share your tips and shenanigans in the comments!